AB 60 License

En español

Driver licenses for undocumented immigrants are now available in California!

Thanks to the great work of many advocates throughout California, Governor Jerry Brown, signed into law AB 60, which allows undocumented immigrants living in California to apply for a driver’s license.


To apply for an AB 60 driver’s license you will need to:

  • Fill out the DL – 44 license application
  • Pay $33 for the application fee
  • Prove your identity
  • Prove that you live in CA
  • Give a thumbprint, have your picture taken, and pass a vision test
  • Pass a written test to prove that you know the rules of the road

Once you have passed the written test, the DMV will issue you a permit to practice driving with another licensed driver.

Once you have had enough practice on the road, make a follow up appointment with the DMV to take the behind-the-wheel test.Take proof of auto insurance for your vehicle when you go for the behind-the-wheel test.

After passing the behind-the-wheel test the DMV will issue you an AB 60 license.


Make an appointment with the DMV to apply for an AB 60 license by calling 1-800-777-0133 or click here to make an appointment online.

Note: AB 60 licenses have a visible distinguishing mark which only allows them to be used for driving and cannot be used for federal or other purposes such as boarding a plane. If you have concerns with applying for a driver’s license because of your immigration or criminal record, we suggest that you talk to an attorney.

You do not need to pay anyone for information or services to help you apply for the AB 60 licenses. If anyone is charging you for this, they are breaking the law.


AB60 After the election

DACA and CA Driver’s licenses

Make an appointment online with the DMV

List of documents you will need to apply for an AB 60 license

DMV Driver Handbook

Frequently asked questions about AB 60 licenses

More test preparation materials

More information about AB 60 from the DMV