Explore your immigration options

What can immigrants do now?

It is important to understand your legal options. You should consult with immigration attorneys or BIA accredited representatives to consider legal options and find out if you qualify for any other immigration benefit.

ReadyNowSanDiego.org offers a list of immigration attorneys and legal service providers that can help you.

Other forms of immigration relief:

Victims of violent crimes (U Visa)

  • You could be eligible for a U Visa, if you:
  • Are a victim of a violent criminal act;
  • Have suffered significant physical or mental abuse as a result of being a victim of a criminal act;
  • Cooperated, are cooperating, or will cooperate with the police in the investigation or process of the crime;
  • The crime occurred in the U.S. or violated U.S. law.

Victims of domestic violence (VAWA)

Allows an abused husband, wife or child of a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident to apply for permanent residence independent of their abuser.

Special immigrant juvenile status (SIJS)

Immigration status for children and young people who have been abused or neglected. A successful petition provides permanent residency to the petitioner.

Adjustment of Status

Adjustment of status for certain relatives of US citizens and permanent residents: Which family members qualify?

There is no waiting list for:

  • Husbands / wives of citizens
  • Mothers / parents of citizens over 21 years of age
  • Sons / daughters under 21 years of age

There is a waiting list and different rules for:

  • Husbands, wives and children of residents
  • Adult children of citizens
  • Brothers/ sisters of citizens

Consult with an immigration attorney!

Helpful links

Make an emergency plan

Avoid fraud